STEPUP! Food Security in Canada
RSI is on a mission to accelerate the discovery and use of scalable solutions to the systemic food crisis that impacts millions of Canadians who constantly live with food insecurity and hunger.
Food security goes beyond access to food. When people are food insecure, it can indicate that there is a lower quality of life for residents of a certain area.
The RSI, STEPUP! to food security action initiative is structured to collaboratively research, discover and create scalable user-centric solution prototypes that can be tested, and ultimately rolled out in communities nation-wide.
To mobilize this mission, we are inviting business and community leaders, experts and organizations who are concerned about this escalating food insecurity and want to join a group of action partners to contribute to the discovery and creation of system-level solutions, together.
Why Are We Doing This?
Because millions of people who live in Canada are suffering. Their stories of hopelessness are the stories of many.
Food inflation is 4 times higher than inflation overall
1.3 Million Canadian children are raised in food insecure homes
1 in 7 Canadians live in food insecure households
Unemployment, exacerbated by COVID- is running at 10.9% with 2x the number of unemployed vs. February 2020
- Six-year-old Bobbi goes to school hungry every day. “I know my mom is hungry too. At least I get fed at school.”
- Elena, a 30-year-old single immigrant mother, came to Canada with her family for a better life, but feels isolated and struggles to make ends meet. “I can’t seem to talk to anyone to share my struggles with. Some of the only people who really welcome and care for me are at the food bank.”
- 12-year-old Sam lives with his dad in a basement apartment. “Being hungry always hurts. I get angry and frustrated when I have to go to bed with an empty stomach. My dad is the hardest worker I know. He suffers too”.
- 60-year-old Mary, a physically handicapped woman, struggles with loneliness and accessing food. “When you’re wheelchair-bound, live alone, it’s a struggle to get food when the closest grocery store is 2kms away.
Join our action group.
Make a Difference to the lives of people suffering from systemic food insecurity and hunger – starting now!
To further enhance usability and meet the unique needs of different communities, our Step Up to Food Security Action initiative supports aligns four global UN 2030 Sustainable Development Goals in a local context.
- Goal 2 – ZERO HUNGER. End hunger, achieve food security, improve nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3 – GOOD HEALTH & WELL-BEING. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all ages
- Goal 12 – RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION & PRODUCTION. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 17 – PARTNERSHIPS FOR THE GOALS. Enhancing the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
If you are interested in better understanding this need and how to get involved, please STEPUP! with us today, Signup to subscribe to our food security updates.
Check out the STEPUP! Food Security opportunities and benefits for Corporate, Community Partners & Collaborators.
To schedule a call with one of the STEPUP! leaders, please contact:
Yatsa Smajovic: Sponsor@rethinksustainability.ca
Gary Kasper: Gary@rethinksustainability.ca