STEPUP! Reimagined Future of Commercial Buildings
RSI is on a mission to accelerate the economic and social sustainability of the downtown core with a reimagined future of commercial buildings, repurposed to meet demand for hybrid home and work dwellings
The current COVID-19 crisis has drastically decreased usage of downtown commercial office space. The long-term, economic, and social sustainability of the downtown core is at risk.
To mobilize this mission, we are inviting organizations interested in preserving the economic and social fabric of the downtown core to STEP UP! Together we will co-create a new future for downtown commercial office buildings that are simultaneously true to triple bottom line economics (social equity, environmental responsibility, and just and green economic recovery).
Why Are We Doing This?
Most employees are working from home, transit ridership is at all time low, and retail and entertainment are suffering. As businesses digitalize with remote working and look to save costs, many companies will reduce their real estate costs leading to potentially deserted buildings.
At the same time, a sizable portion of the downtown dwellers are struggling to cope with remote working due to space limitations in their homes and lack of in-person interactions.
The growing underutilized footprint of commercial office space is putting the downtown core at risk. Opportunities to achieve economic and social sustainability of the downtown core include:
- a post-pandemic, evolved version of shared office spaces so that downtown condo dwellers can Work from Near Home (WFNH);
- affordable and inclusive housing especially for essential workers whose jobs are downtown; and
- goods and services so that downtown dwellers can satisfy their essential needs within a 15-minute walk of their home.
Join our action group
Make a Difference in the economic and social sustainability of the downtown core – starting now!
Our Step Up Action initiative supports three global UN 2030 Sustainable Development Goals in a local context.
- Goal 11 – SUSTAINABLE CITIES AND COMMUNITIES. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Goal 12 – RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION & PRODUCTION. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Goal 17 – PARTNERSHIPS FOR THE GOALS. Enhancing the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
If you are interested in better understanding this need and how to get involved, please STEPUP! with us today, Signup to subscribe to our Reimagined Future of Commercial Buildings action updates.
Check out the STEPUP! Reimagined Future of Commercial Buildings action opportunities and benefits for Corporate, Community Partners & Collaborators.
To schedule a call with one of the STEPUP! leaders, please contact:
Yatsa Smajovic: Sponsor@rethinksustainability.ca